Monday, April 14, 2008

We're back from the doc

And the stats don't make sense. Mikayla's weight sounds right, she's finally over 20lbs! She weighs in at a hefty 22 lbs, which is about 35th %ile. She's always been a peanut on the weight-side, so that sounded good. But the height, nuh-uh, not right. For one thing, they measured her standing up for the first time. You all know that to get an accurate height you need to stand straight, feet together and heels against the wall, right? Now you all remember we're talking about 15-month-old Mikayla. She didn't stand still, let alone tall, straight, feet together and heels against the wall. 29" was the measurement. 10th %ile. I don't think so. I will measure her myself when she wakes up from her nap, if only to satisfy my own curiosity.

Now, to give the doc's office a chance, the nurse today was one I've never seen before, so she's either new to the practice or new to the practice and fresh out of school. I don't know, but I'll put the measurements down to inexperience and just double-check at her next appt.

UPDATE: I measured Mikayla laying down and double checked 3 times. Each time I came up with 31.5", which is much more believable to me.

**I posted a few times earlier this morning, so check below

3 comments:

Mom In Progress said...

That can NOT be right. She seems so tall and has always been long. What was her last length at? Just curious. I was sure she was past that. Hmm, let us know what you get and yes that is weird to measure them standing. I didn't think they did that till they were older.

Alicia said...

Also, when they stand they tend to lose some height due to gravity, but since she didn't stand tall I bet it's not right. Let us know what measurement you get.

LeeAnne said...

Maggie was the opposite at one of her checkups (maybe 18 or 24 mos.) She was scared of the scale and wouldn't stand up, so the nurse measured her lying down on the table. They came up with a number so huge and unrealistic that the doctor said even if they subtracted a whole inch, her height still would have been off the charts. The dr. put it in her chart with a big question mark, and I think we just chalked that one up as a mistake. At the next checkup, she was back on track.