Thursday, November 8, 2007

It's always something, isn't it?

When I was younger, I couldn't wait to have a family and own a house that I could call my own (well, besides that darn bank that really owns it) I dreamt about that day and could hardly wait. I knew that I'd want this type of carpet, that color of walls, these certain appliances, etc. It would be this many bedrooms, this many baths, this type of lay-out. It was, in essence, my dream home.

Then the reality sets in and you are an adult with a family and a house, though not necessarily your dream home-that one was too expensive. But the house that you have is great and holds a very special place in your heart. You still want those carpets or appliances, but you can't afford them all at once. And you don't want those carpets until the kids get older, anyway, so you are stuck with the burnt orange, circa 1979 floor coverings that were there when you moved in. You don't care if they get spilled or peed on while the kids are still learning how to be "big." It happens and the carpet will be removed in a few years anyway. As for the appliances, it's all in due time, I'm told. Technically, the oven still works, even if it's only 3 of the 4 burners on the stove and the oven itself heats unevenly. Besides, the money for a new oven needs to be used to fix the toilet that won't stop running or to buy fuel to heat the house in those bitter winters. As long as the oven works for basic functions, it's fine and doesn't need replacing.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my house and I love owning a house. It's just that lately it seems like there's always something happening. Our toilet upstairs was running non-stop, so we needed to put the kabash on that right away. However, it wasn't right away enough and in my no-sleep-in-two-nights stupor I missed the bottom step at 4am when heading to the bathroom and banged my arm really hard. Needless to say, the toilet was fixed that night after some...shall we say gentle?...prodding on my part. Some may call it demanding, but that's neither here nor there.

Andy and I are also having a small debate on the future of the house in the next 3 years. We have decided that by the time Lilly starts school, we will be putting on an addition so that the girls can have their own bedrooms. I have my idea of how to do it, and Andy has his. Of course, mine is the most logical and flows the best with the rest of the house and Andy's just doesn't, but he'll come around to my way of thinking soon enough if he knows what's good for him. LOL That's also when we'll put in those carpets that I've always wanted, and re-side the house, and get central air, and put a fireplace in the living room...I have it all figured out. Maybe I haven't gotten too far away from that little girl who dreamt about her perfect dream house after all.

1 comment:

Mom In Progress said...

I know exactly what you mean. As I get older my house dreams just get more and more specific. Now if only I could decide on where to settle?!