Monday, November 26, 2007

Christmas time is here!

I hope you all had great Thanksgivings. Ours was wonderful and we had two different dinners over two days, so I stuffed myself silly twice! What more can you ask for your favorite meal?

And now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, I can focus on Christmas! I LOVE Christmas. We started with our decorating on Thursday night, putting up the non-tree decorations. We have our Gingerbread village up, the various knick-knacks that replace some pictures on the shelf, our pine garland on the multiple stair rails, the stocking are hung...but not by the chimney because we don't have one of those. We go with the stairs. The only thing that was left were the trees.

So yesterday afternoon (after a crazy-hectic morning and early afternoon) we set out to the tree farm to cut down our trees. We tried a new farm that was closer to home than the one we've always visited. It was nice, but we could tell the guy was in a middle stage. Most of the trees were either too big or too small. In a few years, he'll have a great supply again.

But, we did find two trees that worked and looked great. Only we didn't really test them that well before we cut them down. We got them home and went to trim the one, and it was the prickliest tree ever. I'm not kidding you. This thing is half cactus. But, we donned our gloves and trimmed it to size. The girls were so excited to put on the lights, beads and ornaments. Lilly was most excited about putting the train around the tree and has asked at least 1,539,867,430 times since last night if she can turn it on. Guess what's hiding in my closet for her for Christmas?

The second tree is great and while trimming it to size, both Andy and I commented on how nice and soft this tree was. It was no problem to hold, manage and move around-even without gloves. Well, that softness is great for feeling, but not so great for ornaments. The branches are also soft and they just bend and droop with the heavier ornaments. But, we made things work and tried to put the heavier ones up top.

Both trees are now beautifully decorated and standing proudly in our living and family rooms. I've been impressed with my daycare kiddos today, because I've only had to warn once or twice about touching the tree. I really hope that I'm not jinxing myself by typing that out. We shall see!

1 comment:

Mom In Progress said...

Wow! Its so exciting to get to get it all ready and up this year so early! Now when new year's comes it won't seem like Christmas has only been up for a week. I love that you guys do the two trees. I'll keep my fingers crossed those ornaments stay safe!