Monday, January 28, 2008

A Weekend to remember

This weekend was a weekend that our entire family (well, except for Mikayla) will remember, for all sorts of different reasons. It was good, bad and ugly.

First, I'll tell about Lilly. She will remember this weekend as a fun time at Gramma Lynn's house, followed by a night with Daddy and her sisters. Then she'll remember it as a night of throwing up and not getting to go rollerskating the next day. Of all that, the not rollerskating will be her major remembrance. She was so upset to not get to go skating and asked us 12342 times if we were still going skating. Guess who ended up with a promise to go in a few weeks?

Alayna will remember the weekend for the same reasons as Lilly, though she got much sicker than Lilly. In fact, she's home from school today because she still has a fever, though she hasn't vomited since 11:00 yesterday morning. She is not too happy about being home, but she gets my bedroom to herself, with complete control of the remote and the entire bed to lounge in. She'll be fine. We did have to promise, however, that we'd go rollerskating as a family in the next few weeks to make up for the missed opportunity yesterday.

As for Andy, he will forever remember the one time that two of our girls got sick during the night while I wasn't home to help him with the clean-up, condolences, hugs and tears. He doesn't do well when the girls aren't feeling well anyway, as it literally pains him to see them in pain or hurting. But, they all survived.

And where was I during all of this? Having a great time at a scrap booking retreat with my friends! We got together on Friday night and scrapped all weekend until Sunday afternoon. We shared meals and snacks, laughed so hard we hurt, complained about politics, childbirth, and other things, shared ideas and inspiration for our pages...it was a blast and something we plan on doing yearly from now on. It was all good until I heard about my poor girlies being sick, then the mommy-guilt hit. "I should have been there." "I wish I could have comforted them when they weren't well." You know how it goes. But I can't change the past and I know that Andy did a great job with the girls. But I also know that everyone of them was very happy to see me come Sunday morning, and it made me so happy...even if I was cleaning up vomit within minutes. It's all part of the job, right?

3 comments:

Mom In Progress said...

Your title says it all! I'm glad you got lots of good scrapping in. That sounds like a tradition to keep up for sure. What a wonderful idea!

Carol said...

Wow, that was a crazy weekend...you couldn't have picked a better weekend to be "off," LOL! Poor Andy & girls...nice to come home and know you're loved and needed too.

One Crazy Chick! said...

Glad everyone is feeling better and you were lucky to have missed the occasion!