Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Gym Envy

Last night I was at the gym, like I am a few nights a week. Since we live in the middle of nowhere, our "gym" is a small fitness center with 3 treadmills, 2 elliptical, 1 stationary bike and about 12 targeted weight stations. Nothing too fancy, but it gets the job done.

Anyway, I started out on the treadmill like I normally do. I was the only one using them and I was booking along at a 4.2 mph walk. That's a quick walk. No, that's a fast walk. I walk for about 7 mins, then jog for 3, walk for 5, jog for 3, etc until I hit the cool-down at 30 mins. I'm hoping that with this interval training, I'll at least get up to a steady jog. This works for me right now because I'm not a runner, but I want to be. I don't know if I ever will be one, but I'm working on it. I try.

Enter the girl who I've never seen before that takes the treadmill next to me. She starts at a nice walk and before I know it, she's running at 7.3 mph. Yeah, I looked at her read-out. She continued to run at 7.3 mph for 32 mins before she started her cool-down. And she had the nerve to look like she had just taken a stroll around the building. She was also about 5' tall. Grrrr.

Now I'm not a very competitive person, but I had some inferiority complex to be right next to her and walking while she's galloping along. But, I just kept reminding myself that just being there was a great thing and I was doing it for myself and my family. I don't need to lose any weight, but I know that keeping myself in shape now will only help matters in the future. I also kept reminding myself that she's probably been a runner for a long time. That helped. But wanna know what helped me feel better the most? Knowing that I could probably take her down in any other way, as long as she didn't get a running head-start.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go Girlfriend!! - Your Mama didn't raise no pansy!!! Mom

Mom In Progress said...

Trip her tiny ass and sit on her!! LOL!! Take her down...sooo funny. Ya, I hear ya. Its kinda depressing to see people fly along. DOH!! I also remind myself its for health but it doesn't mean I still don't want to trip them and run away laughing like a loon at my craftiness. I'm so mature.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly who you're talking about....She's a marathon runner, runs all the time. Coached volleyball and is now coaching basketball for the middle school girls i think. Comes into subway all the time. Very nice....

Heather Forcey said...

Candy - This cracked me up. And Lesley's comment had me busting up out loud! Yeah, I am always the one who is puffing and sweating and looking like a insane cat while working out. I've never been the cute and fit workout girl. I wish I was.