Friday, November 21, 2008

George


George is the one on the left there, in the blue halter. We got him back on May 10, 2003, when Alayna was a a little over 2 years old. He came from a family that was moving and couldn't take all their horses with them, but wanted to make sure he went to a good home. The wife in the family worked with Andy's uncle John, who mentioned that we were looking for a good horse to start our daughter on. They exchanged numbers, we called, we went to look at him and he came home with us that day.

He was an absolute gem--completely bomb-proof, very calm and gentle, a wonderful horse for Alayna, and then Lilly, to learn on. He was always careful of them when they'd come into the pasture. He would alter his speeds based on who was on his back--he'd do a faster trot for me than for one of the girls. He was the perfect horse for them.



He was also old. When we got George, they estimated his age to be 22-24. Since we've had him for almost 6 years, that puts him near 30. For you non-horse people, that's like being 80 in human years. This past year he had lost a ton of weight and gained some back, but he never lost his wonderful attitude. Every night he'd trot into the barn for supper, when we'd yell hello to them in the pasture he and Cookie would both neigh back in response.

Today, we had to put him down after he fell and couldn't get back up. He leaves a HUGE void in our lives and will forever be remembered. Every horse will, from this day forward, be compared to our perfect, loving Georgie.



We love you and will miss you dearly, George!

7 comments:

Heather Forcey said...

Oh Candy, I am so sorry. I know how important all of your animals are. They do indeed become part of our families. I hope all of you are feeling okay. The pictures of George are beautiful.

LeeAnne said...

Candy, I'm so sorry about George. I have a cat named George, and I know all too well the pain of losing a special pet -- be it a 10-pound cat or a 100(?)-pound horse. (I know nothing about horses.) I hope you find comfort in the many wonderful memories you and the girls have of him.

Big hugs!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Candy! Hope the Family is doing ok. i still miss Leera and it has been 6 years now. i can't say any more i'm starting to cry.

Mom In Progress said...

Oh no. I know you said he was getting up there in age but its so upsetting to finally have them go. He was a gorgeous horse!! What a joy to have him in yours and the girls lives. I hope he's having a good ol'time in heaven but I'm sure you will all miss him dearly. Hugs to you all!! George was awesome and you gave him a great 6 years!

Mom In Progress said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mom In Progress said...

Oh no. I know you said he was getting up there in age but its so upsetting to finally have them go. He was a gorgeous horse!! What a joy to have him in yours and the girls lives. I hope he's having a good ol'time in heaven but I'm sure you will all miss him dearly. Hugs to you all!! George was awesome and you gave him a great 6 years!

Sarah said...

This makes me so sad...