Saturday, November 15, 2008

Andy is the coolest husband EVER!

It's not often that my husband can surprise me with a gift--I handle the checkbook and am super anal about checking it every day. Because of that, I see all transactions and know, to some degree, what's going on.

Well, yesterday he came home with a Great Dane puppy for me! I was SOOOO excited! I have wanted a Dane for years, probably since I was in my very early teens. I have done research on them and planned and plotted when would be the best time for one. Andy, of course, has known about this all along.

A few weeks ago Lynn and Alicia (my MIL & SIL) took the girls to "Wal-Mart" with them, but they really went to pick out 2 puppies, one for me and one for Alicia! I can't believe the girls kept it a secret for almost 3 weeks! Andy picked her up last night on his way home from work. Meet Marley:


I chose that name for her because I originally wanted to name Mikayla 'Marley.' I loved the name and thought it would be just adorable on a little girl. Andy liked the name, but said it sounded more like a pet to him than a daughter. Of course, I jumped on that and compromised with the promise that our next female pet could be Marley. And so she is.


Marley is 7 weeks old today. She's still a little timid, considering that she left behind her parents and several siblings less than 24 hrs ago. But just this morning she's come along and been a little more playful and interactive. Of course, the rest of us are a bit tired due to some whining all night long, but we survived.

One thing the girls keep commenting on is how tiny she is, and how big she'll get. They can't believe that in a matter of months, she'll be as big as they are and outweigh them by 50+lbs. While the girls took a puppy break (enforced by Mom and Dad) Andy got the idea that we should take her picture with her food bowl at various stages to show how much she's really grown. She's got a long way to go and eventually, this bowl will be tiny compared to her. Right now....not so much.

4 comments:

Heather Forcey said...

Marley is adorable! Way to go girls on keeping it a secret for so long! Yeah, that bowl is going to look like a teacup when Marley is done growing. What a sweet little puppy.

Mom In Progress said...

Oh my gosh!!!! She is soooo cute!!! I want one!!! I can't believe they kept it a secret and what a gem of a hubby to get her. I think she is gorgeous! I saw you made a comment on FB on puppy but was on and off quick and was thinking what on Earth you meant. Now I know. That is so cool. You'll definatly have to keep us posted with pics on her growth, its going to be so neat to see!

My Busy Boys said...

She is so cute. Congratulations!
I still have a black lab you can add to your great family!
Love ya,

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh Candy, I LOVE her! I have always wanted a GD too -- I am so jealous! We saw one at the dog park a couple weeks ago, and it was 145 lbs! Can't wait to see her grow up!