Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The End of an Era

We looked at dozens of cribs, way back in the fall of 2000, before we found one that we liked. It was perfect--beautiful wood and solid construction, it converted to a toddler bed for future use and had built in drawers to hold extra sheets and blankets. We were so happy to have found the perfect bed for the little one we were expecting and any future siblings he or she may have.

Now here it is, November of 2008. That beautiful piece of furniture above has been in our house for over eight years-the most consistent furniture we've had except for the dressers Andy and I have for our clothes. We have gotten new beds, new couches, new tables. We have changed the sheets and blankets hundreds of times, laid down three different princesses to sleep for thousands of naps and bedtimes. All those years, it's been that crib that has stood in our house. And now we no longer need it.

Yesterday I took the crib over to my friend's house. She is due with #2 in 7 weeks and her oldest (who will be 2 in December) is showing no signs of giving up her crib yet. Like most parents, they aren't pushing her. So the new baby needed a crib and we had one that was no longer in use. The timing was perfect, so we lent them the crib. It is no longer in our home.


It is a very bittersweet thing, indeed. I am so happy and grateful to have three beautiful girls who are thriving, growing and healthy. They are moving into new stages in life and leaving behind the old. Each new stage is wonderful and fun and a learning experience for us all. But now, a very big stage is no longer a part of our lives. The crib is no longer needed, the baby stage is over. There will be no more babies of our own that will sleep in that crib. Our girls all sleep in big-girl beds. They talk and walk and communicate and so many wonderful things. But there's something about that crib...

5 comments:

Alicia said...

Wow! I can't believe Mikayla is already in a "big girl" bed! Joshua is nowhere near transitioning out of a crib. It's so bittersweet to move on to new stages, isn't it?

LeeAnne said...

Wow, what a milestone. I felt sad when we took apart Maggie's crib for easier storage; I can't imagine what it will be like to get rid of it one day. Amazing how tangible things can come to symbolize so much ...

3LittleFlowers said...

Im about to give that step and I dont think Im ready.. My youngest is 17 months old and she will be out of it very soon! It has been in our family for 5 years and it survived one overseas move, and another cross country move... Still the same one!

Mom In Progress said...

SOB!!! No!! I hate thinking about it. Then again mine is in the garage being painted as a full frame. Still I hate not having more babies when I think of all this sweet stuff. Stop it already!! You are making me all nostalgic and weepy.

encmommy2 said...

AW! Hugs! That was so hard for me too. I cried when we had to take ours down. I still get teary eyed when I think about it.