Tuesday, September 1, 2009

September and School

"It's the most wonderful time of the year..."

Are you singing with me? I love September for many reasons: it's the start of fall, my favorite season; Andy and I celebrate our wedding anniversary; school starts!

Yep, school started today and for the first time ever, I sent two girls on the bus. Alayna returned to school, this year as a third grader, and Lilly started 4K, or a preschool that's ingrained with the school system. They were both so excited and anxious to get on with the day!

Mikayla was convinced that she was going, too, so as you see, she has her backpack and shoes on. I was worried how she'd do when it came time for the girls to leave but she had to stay. Thankfully, she was happy to watch them go. Now, though, I can tell she's a little bored and she's asked about Alayna and Lilly a few times. Oh well, it will be good for her to have some separation.

When the bus drove by (we live on a dead-end, so it drives by and turns around after picking up the neighbor--perfect amount of time to walk to the end of the driveway) Lilly informed me that I could stay on the porch since she had Alayna to help her. *sigh*


The girls' bus-driver is awesome and I could hear her excitedly greet each of the girls, making a special comment on it being Lilly's first day. Even in previous years, she's made an effort to include the girls and sends treats home with Alayna for them, too. Now Lilly will get the treats herself.

Mikayla and I watched the bus leave and now, we wait. We go about our day, getting used to the unfamiliar quiet that comes after summer. Mikayla and I both are feeling a little lost, I think, but we'll manage. I know that both of the girls are probably having a super day and I can't wait until they come home so I can hear all about it. And until they do, we wait...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That last picture of Mikayla - she looks so lonely! It's going to be a big adjustment for her - - and YOU! Try to enjoy it!

Mom / AKA Gramma