Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Full Circle...And then Some

We have an old, wooden child-sized table that sits in our living room.  The table was built for my sister and I by our neighbor, Bill, when we were maybe 4 and 6 years old.  It had 4 little stools (I think only 3 are left) and was used for everything--we colored, worked puzzles, played ponies and barbies, used it as a stage...It was universal.  When we grew into our teenage years, the table became less of a work-station and more of a holding station.  It sat in the corner of my bedroom holding various picture frames and special objects.  When Andy and I got our first house, it worked as a tv stand for awhile. 


Now, it's back to it's calling.  The table has gone full circle.  It's not as pretty as it once was, with it's smooth, untouched finish.  But it's sturdy and trusty and does it's job.  The scratches and dings add character and life to the little wood table, telling stories of all the things it's done and seen.   Now, my kids color on it, work puzzles, use it as a frame for blanket forts, play ponies and dolls.  Yesterday, Mikayla was dancing and accidentally hit the table, which had one leg uneven because a book was under it.  The table toppled over and landed completely upside down on the floor.  I waited to see what Mikayla would do or say, thinking she'd be upset.  Instead, she gasped and ran to me, incredibly excited.

"Mommy, yook!  It's a castle and I the princess and you the queen!"


I love her imagination.  I love that she saw a castle with 4 turrets and the perfect spot for her in the middle.  I love that my girls use and love the same table that I did as a child.  I love that our little table has gone full circle...and then some. 

No comments: