Thursday, January 8, 2009

Yes, I know


Yes, I know that there is a book (and movie) called "Marley & Me."

No, that is not why I named Marley what I did. I have never read the book, and I haven't seen the movie. For the record, over 2 years ago when our third daughter was born, I really wanted to name her Marley. My husband did not. We compromised with our next female pet.

So the next time someone asks me about her name, can I just point them here? Or will one of you just answer for me, to save me from saying the same thing for the 12,538,946th time?

Oh, and another thing. We are quite aware that she will get big. That's what Great Dane's do. Anyone who gets a Dane and doesn't realize that is...well...an idiot. And unfortunately, that's why there are a lot of Danes in rescue. People don't realize the size and care that a large dog like that needs. But for fun, wanna see how big our baby is getting? The pic below, #2 of the post, was taken the first day we got her, back on Nov 14th when she was 6 weeks old (I think, she was born Oct 3) The third pic was taken last week, on her 3 month b-day. Look at the bowl comparison (and the filing cabinet in pics #1 and #2). Picture #1, at the top of this post, was taken Dec 16th.



**This post is not directed at any family or friends, just people in general. EVERYONE that finds out we got a new dog says something about her name/the book/the movie and how big she'll get. It's all in gest.

**And yes, I know I'm still owing you all a HUGE picture post. I have uploaded the pics, just need to edit some of them so we don't look like evil spawn with glowing red eyes. It's coming, be ready...

5 comments:

Carol said...

Ha, ha...for the record, I happened upon that "Marley & Me" book at Costco about a week or so after you got Marley and my thoughts were, "Hey, that's Candy's new dog!" as if the author was copying you.

She's a beautiful dog...she's grown so much already, wow! You know my sis Maury has a big black Great Dane too named Eleanor. Great Danes have never been my favorite breed (and I'm not even much of a dog lover in general) but between those 2, they're definitely growing on me!

Heather Forcey said...

Marley is an Opal Baby! If her birthday is Oct. 3, she was born on Evan's birthday! How fitting of you to get an Opal Baby doggie! She's beautiful, btw. I love to see how big she's gotten. She looks like she's going to be a lot of fun.

Sarah said...

I've seen the advertisements, flipped through the book and it NEVER occurred to me that it was the same name as your pups! Oh dear...well, good for you, I didn't make the connection!

In third grade I got a rat and named it Simba (my brother's nickname for me -- looooong story). Then, two months later, the Lion King came out and everyone thought I named her after that. I feel your pain -- it's annoying! You try to be original, and then hollywood goes and screws it up! :)

I suppose this means everyone will soon be naming their dog Marley? At least you live in the country so you won't hear someone else yelling your dog's name!

P.S. She is so super cute and I want one. We were looking at pics of Kia when she was 8 weeks, so tiny!!

Mom In Progress said...

Haha, WE know its your originality and not hollywood! I hate when that happens too...On Friends they named the baby Jack when I already had mine and was preggers with Max. I used to get complimented on his name ALL the time till that happened then there were tons of Jacks. Oh well. What can we do.

She is sooo pretty. I love seeing her growing pics. Keep those up!! I think Great Danes are growing on me too! I always thought they were huge till I've met a few and now I see them as beautiful gentle giants. So neat!

LeeAnne said...

She is getting so big already! I couldn't believe it when I saw the Christmas picture with Alayna holding her! Enjoy your 4th daughter ...