Thursday, January 22, 2009

She's onto me

Sunny's been doing really well since her surgery this weekend. She doesn't want to walk or lay down or take it easy. She wants to run and play in the snow. She wants to be free and do her rounds of the property. She wants to wrestle with Marley. It's been a feat to keep her from overexerting herself.

One thing that hasn't been a problem, until now, was her meds. I would tuck them into a piece of cheese or ham and she'd gulp it down, no problem. The first day, she didn't want much of anything and I had to shove the pills down her throat. Now it's all good...until this morning. This morning I stuck the pills into a chicken nugget left over from yesterday's lunch. She grabbed the nugget and bit down. Right into the pill. What a nice mess that was to clean up. The powder was all over the floor, a half-eaten chicken nugget laying with it all, some saliva to up the par. It was great. Now, she's cautious of anything I give her. I was able to sneak the pills into her eventually, but I thought she'd caught me again. Normally, she doesn't even chew her treats, just swallows them whole. Let's hope for better times and a return to the normal. She's obviously feeling better and more like herself!

4 comments:

Mom In Progress said...

Oooh fun new layout!! I like it!! What a silly girl Sunny is. Its so annoying when they figure us out. I mean they are dogs, so talk about annoying, I can't even trick a dog half the time and if sticking it in leftover goodies doesn't work thats the end of my bag of tricks. Good luck with your smarty pants!

Anonymous said...

Try giving a cat a pill!!!:-)

Anonymous said...

Since when did Sunny start chewing?

LeeAnne said...

Yeah, I'm with "anonymous" ... I don't have a whole lot of sympathy -- a little, but not a whole lot -- since I have to give CATS pills. I'm clawed and bitten on a regular basis.