Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bee-utiful...or not








This is kind of pretty, in a dangerous sort of way, isn't it? The beautiful swirls, the camouflage from the leaves woven into those swirls, the sheer hard work it took to create. A person could understand and admire all of those things. And if you stand close enough-but really not all that close at all-you almost become entranced by the loud buzz, rooted to your spot. It's like you are hypnotized. You know you shouldn't be there, but you can't move, either.










Then you snap out of it and start to get wise. You realize that those are some dangerous, not very pretty to deal with critters inside of there. And you back away and take a picture with the highest zoom level on your camera. I want to show it to you guys, but I don't want to get stung and sacrifice my body in the process. It's not that important. Sorry.
So this is where the bugger is located. In the tree right along the driveway. I was going to circle it in red, but remembered I was going to do that after I already uploaded the picture. Oops. If you look close enough, you can see it. Right over where my daughter walks to and from the school bus. Right over where all 3 girls ride their bikes, color with chalk and play tag. It's also right over the path the dog and cats take frequently, as they survey and monitor the property for any chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits or anything else that could be a threat...or a meal.

We just found this thing last night. We were backing out of our driveway and Andy and I both noticed it immediately. I thought it was a big bird sitting there at first, Andy wasn't sure what it was. Then we realized. Ugh. It also made us wonder how long it had been there that we both noticed it right away. I mean, now that we know where it is, it's visible from the house. Big time. So how long has it been there? Or have they just been really busy?


So the plan was that we'd try to take it down after Andy's softball game. We wouldn't be home until after 9 and it was already in the low 60s, by then it would be in the 50s and those bees/hornets/wasps/whatever wouldn't be moving. So we got home, put the girls to bed, grabbed a shovel and some brake fluid (it's all Andy had in the garage that would work) and headed down the driveway. I shined the spot-light while he swatted at the hive. He hit it twice and it moved, but didn't come down. But the flying insects that live in it came out. What the $%*&?! It's cold out! Everyone knows that insects don't fly when it's only in the 50s because they are cold blooded and it's cold. Hello?! Didn't they get the message?! So Andy decided he and the neighbor would do it this morning, before they both left for work. At 4 am. When it's in the 40s.

*Ring! Ring!*

"Hello?"

"Hey, don't let Alayna walk down the driveway. Have her go through the yard and around to the bus."

"Why?"

"Ummm, we weren't successful. I think we pissed them off good. But we have a better plan and we'll get 'em tonight. I'll call you at break and fill you in."

I can only imagine. Stay tuned and hopefully I can get some pictures of the action...from the living room with the windows and doors tightly shut. I'm crazy sometimes, but I'm not dumb.

3 comments:

Mom In Progress said...

LOL! That is horrible but I gotta laugh at Andy and the 'plan!' I can just imagine my Doc saying something like that and coming up with bigger and better ways to get that darn thing. I hope it stays put and they calm down again by the time he's ready to take another 'wack'. Haha, seriously though stay away. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hope you can all stay sting free! And by the way... Andy didn't watch McGyver when he was a kid did he? If he gets out the duct duct tape, a battery, and a rope you better stop him!!! Good luck with those little devils! Auntie Di

Heather Forcey said...

My friend in Virginia just had to deal with the same thing, and her husband is on deployment. She barricaded herself in a bedroom, put on protective gear, and aimed a can of wasp repellent out the window. She emptied two cans into the sucker. She told her kids to dial 911 if she started screaming! Her story was hilarious, so I was laughing at Andy calling to tell you to have Alayna walk to the other way! What a pesky problem.