Friday, May 9, 2008

17 kids...and counting

I often watch the Today Show in the morning while getting ready, eating breakfast, etc. Once the kids are up and moving about, it's usually turned off or to cartoons, so I need to get my adult TV in when I can. This morning I saw that the Duggars were going to be on, so I left Today on a little longer than normal.

You all know the Duggars, right? They live in Arkansas and have 17 children, all with names starting with J. I know some people are disgusted, for lack of a better word, by this family. But I don't really know why. Sure, that's a lot of kids. But if I'm not the one having to take care of all those children (let alone carry and birth them all!), then what does it matter to me? And contrary to what many believe, as a nation we've not taking care of them, either. They live completely within their means and are not on any aid from the government. They built their huge home with their own labor, buy foods in bulk at discount stores (think Aldi's), home school all the children, and have an amazing faith. The older children have a "buddy" that is a younger sibling they are in charge of helping get dressed, do their chores, etc. I know some people see a big problem with this as well, but to me, it's teaching responsibility and compassion. Do I know what it's like in the Duggar home? No. But no one but a Duggar really knows that, either. Some people love the Duggars, some people hate them. I don't know them personally so I have no opinions on "like" or "don't like." But if they can make it work for them, what skin off my knuckles is that? To each his own, I guess.

So today they were on the Today Show and what did they announce? You guessed it...#18 is on the way. And yes, it will have a name starting with J (are there that many names out there?!)

5 comments:

Alicia said...

Wow! I remember when #17 was born and they said they wanted more. I'm just in awe of that family. It's not for me, but I have a lot of respect for them.

Mom In Progress said...

I Love the Duggars. My kids love watching the specials on them with me. You know what's really weird? I just looked them up yesterday!! I'm not kidding. We all love to watch 'John & Kate Plus 8' So I had looked up their website which made me think of he Duggars and I was wondering what was new with them.

One Crazy Chick! said...

Can you imagine the laundry?

I mean the thought of the laundry alone overwhelms me.

Clearly, they have it figured out because hello she is still getting pregnant! I mean people complain about not having to, uh um, 'do it' with two children, and look at them - even they find time.

Carol said...

I saw that story on FoxNews too!!! I was going to post about it too but since you already did...

CRAZY! Makes me feel better about my little 4...not so many after all!

LeeAnne said...

I agree totally with your viewpoint on the situation. It makes me wonder WHY people can get so worked up about the way others live their lives ...

Well said!