Thursday, March 13, 2008

Words

I am constantly amazed at the new words all 3 of my daughters are picking up each and every day. Alayna is working with her teacher on hard words to sound out in her reading, since she's already tested out of the year's Dolche words. She brought home flash cards the other night with words like personification, onomatopoeia, simile, etc, that her teacher had made her for a challenge. And she not only could read those words correctly, but she knew their meanings, too. Onomatopoeia is her new favorite word. I'm telling you, this girl is going places.

Mikayla is also picking up new words every day, mostly from my own teachings. In the last few days she's added book, up and poop (great, I know) to her vocabulary, bringing the number of words she knows and properly uses to about 20. And while she doesn't say many more words than that, her understand is exploding and she fully understand most commands we give.

Now Lilly, on the other hand...I was on the phone while in the kitchen a few minutes ago. Our kitchen overlooks the living room, so I could hear what the kids where doing. I wrote down some information and then hung up, but I could hear Mikayla doing her "I'm getting angry" squeal. As I came downstairs, I saw Lilly had a jump-rope loosely looped around Mikayla's belly, and she was holding one of my daycare kids' hands.

"Lilly, what are you doing?" I asked, never knowing what to expect in response.

"What? Oh, I'm trying to play house with these wild creatures. They won't cooperate though, so I think I'll go camping instead!"

3 comments:

Mom In Progress said...

Where do they get these things!! What a riot!

Anonymous said...

lol kids do say the darnest things

Carol said...

That's hilarious. Wow on Alayna with onomatopoeia! I always liked that word too, though I don't think I learned it in first grade, wow. : )