Tuesday, August 21, 2007

One of those days...

I am having one of those days. You know, the type where you wish you could just stop time or rewind it or whatever, like the girl on that old show "Out of This World" (I think). Maybe if I just put my two forefingers together in front of me...nope, didn't work.

My day actually started at about 2:00 this morning. Andy and the girls were going to sleep in the tent they built in the living room. It was therefore my job to make sure that I woke up with Andy's alarm so he could get to work. Of course, I was paranoid about sleeping through it or hitting snooze unconsciously, so I was up every 30 mins or so from 2:00 until about 3:15. I remember that time because I had looked at the clock for the 20th time in an hour, only to fall back asleep and wait for that darn alarm. Well, the alarm never went off. It was set, but it didn't go off. Why? Because we were woken up at 3:30 by the loudest crack of thunder I think I have ever heard in my life. No kidding. I jumped out of bed because I honestly thought that the house had fallen in. I went downstairs and Andy was just getting up off the floor, followed shortly by Alayna (Lilly had gone up to her own bed when I went to bed) We were certain that something in the yard or horse pasture had been struck by lightning, it was that loud and close. We were shocked and pleasantly surprised that we still had power. But since Andy has to get up at 4:00, it didn't make sense for him to go back to bed. So, Alayna and I sat with Daddy for a few minutes, helped him pack his lunch, then we went back to bed.

Fast forward to 6:30 when my alarm goes off, and I'm dead to the world. I was soooooo tired. After hitting snooze a few times, I finally drag my sorry butt out of bed and turn on the tv for the weather forecast. Rainy all day, which is great because we still desperately need the rain. So I head downstairs and turn on the tv in the living room....nothing. Hmmmm. I turned off the dish receiver, hit reset, then turned it back on again. Nothing. I picked up the phone to dial DirecTV and there's no dial tone. You have GOT to be kidding me. I pull the couch away from the wall to get to the phone jack and the jack is literally lying in pieces on the floor. Wow. I quickly run to turn on the computer and, as you can tell, it's fine. Thank God. Sure, I had to borrow the 25' phone line we have and run the cord to the toy room jack, but it's working until Andy gets home and puts in the new jack.

I plug the cordless phone into another jack in the house and it's working, too. Good, apparently it's only the one jack. I call DTV and am on the phone for almost an hour, in which time the man tells me someone will have to come out and set up a new receiver for the living room. Really? Isn't that what I told him would have to happen? After all, the receiver upstairs works perfectly, so it's obviously the downstairs receiver that is smoked. But, I smile so the man can hear it in my voice, thank him for his time and verify that I will, indeed, be home tomorrow between 9 and noon.

I quickly go on-line to see about slipcovers for our couch because we have a huge tear in the one cushion. Nice, huh? The reason I had to get on-line right away was because if my order was in by noon, I should be able to get it by Sat morning. I race through the order process only to discover that the one I like is a little shady in description. It made it sound like a set, but when I went to check out it just said "love seat." Well that won't work, because it's a love seat/sofa set. I spied a number in the bottom corner and thought it was worth a shot to call. The lady who helped me was very nice and understood that it was a set, too. But just to be sure, she checked with her manager (placing me on hold for about 5 mins) and verified that yes, it was a set. Good. I placed the order and was told it would arrive between Fri and Mon. I hope it's Fri or Sat, because we are having a big party here on Saturday and I really don't want to just throw a blanket over the darn couch.

With all that said and done, I swore that it was at least 4:00 this afternoon. Nope, it wasn't even 10 yet! Yikes! But, things seem to be calm for now and hopefully it's all good.

1 comment:

Kandace said...

AHHH! I hate when all that happens and feels like enternity but is really just a few hours!