Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Clean House

If you read my last post about all that happened in the last 4-5 days, then you know that we were really busy.  And if you read my blog with any regularity or know me in-real-life, you know that not only do I have 3 children, but I also watch some of my friends' kids as well.  So our house is always full of kids and toys and more kids and more toys.  Which makes keeping it clean next to impossible, unless I were to never sleep or eat or sit down or do anything other than clean.  I don't think the kids, or their parents, would appreciate me neglecting the children so that my sink was shiny and my floors squeaked.

Don't get me wrong, my house isn't dirty.  There aren't dishes laying around, piles of dirt on the floor, or mold in my windowsills.  But there are stacks of papers on the desk, a haphazard tower of toys in the corner of the family room, laundry that needs to be put away on the living room couch.  It's usually a quick 15 minute pick-up until it's company-ready.  If you add to that the unpacking of 3 days at a waterpark, our cleaning for the party after church on Sunday was a little hectic.  The kids were putting toys and clothes away.  Andy and I were going in every direction, putting things away, picking things up, throwing things in the garbage.  If I'm being honest, I'll admit that we got a little snipppy with one another.

"Why can't the house stay clean?!  Ten minutes in each room 1-2 days a week would do wonders."  My husband is a great man, he really is, but sometimes he has no clue.  Some days I have tons of time because all the kids are being good and playing nicely.  Other days, I have -45 minutes at the end of the day. I just never know how it's going to be until it's that day.  So how did I respond to his comments, which I know weren't directed at me so much as the situation?

"Does a clean house really make us that much happier as a family?  If it's messy, do we laugh less?  Does our food taste any worse or is any less nutritional?  Do we sleep worse at night?  Do our bills get paid wether the house is clean or dirty?"  Then I stormed off to clean the bathroom.  And it hit me.

I was 250% right and I needed to hear it as much as Andy did.  A perfectly picked up house doesn't make us any happier, or well-rested, or anything else.  Sure, it looks great and does make me feel good, that's not what I'm saying.  I'm saying that 20 years from now, we're not going to remember if the desk was cleaned off or the floors spotless.  But we will remember playing games or doing puzzles in the family room, or cuddling together to watch a movie, or making supper with everyone having a role in helping out.  And that's a gift that I hope to unwrap for many, many years to come.

Emily is hosting Tuesdays Unwrapped again!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

amen!

i have to say, that i have used this line of thinking as an excuse to do what i wanted to do, but the thing is.... it is really the truth. my sink does have dirty dishes in it... but we sat down as a family and laughed over a tv show... and in the long run, that was more important. i will long recall the rolling laughter of my pre-teen son and the vivid observations of my not-so observant daughter. play. the time will come when there are no messe to pick up...

Sharon @ Hiking Toward Home said...

Great Post. I totally agree. I experienced this just last night. Our kids put on a musical show for us (me, my hubs, and my parents) last night. It was so great! They sang a bunch of songs from Sunday School and we had a great time together as a family.... and we did it right after dinner without ever clearing the table. I am so glad my hubs decided that we needed to enjoy the kids and clean up after they were snoozzzzing in bed. Thank you for reminding us that what we remember will be the laughter and good times, not the spotless shiny sink.

Heather Forcey said...

Well written Candy!