Monday, December 15, 2008

Cold Weather Rules Part 2

Remember this post about a very important cold weather rule? Well, today I've got a few more rules, or bits of advice, for you all when it comes to the cold.

1. This time of year, when you are sleeping soundly and wake up because of a loud banging sound...chances are someone is not shooting at, crashing into or breaking into your house or anything else. In my dream, it was someone crashing their lawn-mower into a garbage can. In reality, it was something much less tragic and humorous. Once I was awake enough to put 2 and 2 together, I came up with -10. As in the temperature. And that banging noise? The house shifting and groaning from the frigid temps (and our house is only 30 yrs old, you should hear a house like my parents' that's about 100 yrs old!). And just so you all can be really jealous, we're not supposed to make it above zero today and our wind-chills will be -30. Yippee.

2. Don't rely on just one tv station when it comes to checking for school delays and closures. I woke up this morning (see above) at 6am, 30 mins before my alarm is set to go off. I thought I'd be a nice Mommy and check for Alayna's school. I went through the "local" channels (we live over 70 miles from the nearest city, but our schools get called into them because that's where our local tv channels come from) and found the channel closest to our town name in the alphabet listing of schools. As I watched with half asleep eyes, I realized that it skipped over our town. I was a bit peeved that I had to send my child on a bus with -30 windchill and below zero actual temps. But then I thought, "Hmmm, maybe I should check another channel." So I found the next closest channel in the alphabet and sure enough, we're at least 2 hrs late. I sneak into Alayna's room and shut off her alarm, only to still have all 3 girls in bed with me by 6:30. Ugh.

3. Puppy's with short hair do not go off of the porch to "do their business" when it's this cold out. Enough said.

4 comments:

Heather Forcey said...

Every winter I am mesmerized by your stories of negative temperatures, snow, and windchill factors. As I sit here shivering in my house with the heater set at 67 degrees and it only being about 48 degrees outside, I just CANNOT imagine how I would cope in weather like you describe! I would like to visit to see the snow though! We are in the middle of a winter "storm." I know that no storm of ours here can match yours there!

Mom In Progress said...

I like it Hot hot hot!! Ok, seeing as we (meaning CO since I was in sunny Florida) haven't made it above the 20's in over a week I can only imagine. I will have to go back and read your other trips. Oh and cold is one thing...wind chill...ICK!!!!!!! I detest wind chill, its so much worse at these temps than anything I've ever imagined. When I ever visit you it will HAVE to NOT be in the winter. ;)

Mom In Progress said...

I meant tips not trips. Oops!

LeeAnne said...

Ohmygosh, I just don't know how you do it in that kind of cold. Seriously! I was thinking about you today, as a matter of fact. We're in the middle of a horrible cold snap -- our high was about 35 and the windchill was in the teens, I believe. And it was AWFUL. AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL.

We Southerners are such wimps ...