Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas is almost here!

Did you all realize that it's less than 4 weeks until Christmas? Yup, that's right! So get your cards ordered, go to the store, heat up the oven for all those cookies...You are running out of time!



We have started getting ready for Christmas. As I mentioned in a post yesterday, we cut our trees and put them up, but they needed some decorations!








The girls love to help decorate the trees each year. This year, Mikayla was able to participate somewhat, though she couldn't hang all of the ornaments by herself. Since decorating, I don't know who I've had to yell at more about not touching the trees-Mikayla or Marley. To a puppy, it's like she's gone to heaven!

Sunday was our Christmas celebration for 4H. Every year, the kids sell wreaths, poinsettias, and trees as a fundraiser for the club. We turn in and collect the orders the Sunday after Thanksgiving, then the whole club goes bowling together. We also have another fun thing for that day...







Can you believe that Santa wasn't too busy to come see us all?! Lilly was so excited. She ran right up to him and was the first to sit on his lap, actually standing next to him, waiting patiently for him to take his seat. Alayna sat on his lap as well, but Mikayla didn't want to. The combination of minor stranger anxiety and being up past nap time--plus up late the night before--was not good for Santa-time. Oh well.

One funny, but sad, thing did occur. As we left 4H, Alayna seemed to be a little down. When I asked her what was wrong, she said, "I'm just thinking...Did Santa look and sound like Uncle Johnny to you?" Well, good question, considering that Santa was Uncle Johnny (my MIL's brother) I just told her that Uncle John has always kinda looked like Santa and she seemed happy with that answer. She'll be 8 in January, so we wonder if this year will be the last Santa year for her. We're playing it by ear, waiting to see what she hears at school and if she asks more questions. We won't lie to her, just as I didn't lie about Uncle John looking like Santa. I mean look at the guy--that's not a fake beard or belly or glasses. The man is Santa.

2 comments:

Mom In Progress said...

Sooo cute. Love the pics and don't envy you a new puppy and a tree! yikes!! I get scared when kids ask about Santa now. William sort of figured it out but didn't and I told him the truth and you know what..He was MAD at me. He didn't want the truth. Now I anguish over the fact that THIS year the little ones are absorbing the MAGIC of santa like crazy. I'm setting them up to believe but part of me wants to just tell them its a game and skip the disappointment later. Then I can't take away those years of magical belief so I go with it. We can't win darn it!

Heather Forcey said...

Oh, that's a tough one. We want them to believe in the magic forever! I love your answer about Uncle Johnny!