Monday, May 2, 2011

It's a big day in history

Today is a very big day in history.  Late last night, it was announced that Osama bin Laden had been killed by US forces conducting a raid on his compound in Pakistan.  President Obama broke into coverage with a live announcement, though for many people, the news didn't become apparent until this morning.  I know I was shocked when I woke up and turned on the tv to watch the weather, but instead heard bin Laden was dead.

My feelings about this news?  Shock, relief, disbelief, fear and sadness.  That's right, no joy.  Don't get me wrong, I am relieved that bin Laden no longer is a threat to the American people, or any others in the world, who felt and believed differently than him.  I am relieved that he is no longer spreading evil across this world.  I am glad that none of the American troops were killed during the firefight that broke out. But I am also realistic.  Bin Laden had many, many followers and while he was the head of al Qaeda, he wasn't the only person in the regime.  There are others who are also powerful and may now seek revenge for his death.  I am scared that his death may cause more unrest and turmoil.  And there's part of me that is also doubtful--for years we've heard that he's been sighted or captured or found, only to be told later that it was a look alike, or we were moments too late, or it was planted evidence or information to mislead us.  I have a hard time believing that he's really gone, and I probably will feel this way until they get the DNA testing back to prove that it was, in fact, bin Laden who was killed.

Part of me also feels sad.  As evil and horrible of a person as bin Laden was, I still feel some sadness at his passing.  He was human.  He was some one's son, husband, brother, father.  I cannot rejoice at the death of any human, no matter how evil his actions.  He still has people who love and mourn him now that he's gone.  He was still someone who his parents dreamed would be a good person, make the right choices, have a good life.  As a mother, I cannot imagine how I would feel if people were rejoicing the death of my child, no matter what she did.

No comments: