Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there!  I wanted to take a moment to tell you all about the mothers in my life...

First, my mom Paula.  She's an amazing woman who is always there for us, no matter what it is we need.  She's kind of crazy like me, and that's why we work so well together.  She has taught me how to be a better mom with everything she has done for me in the past and the present.  When I need advice about something, she's the first person I call.  She never judges me (or at least makes me feel judged).  And when I don't need advice or just want to vent, she understands and lets me figure things out on my own or just get it off my chest.   

My Gramma C is another mother in my life who has always been there for me.  She has always made sure to have time for her grandkids, whether we were 4, 14 or 24.  When I was finishing college and had baby Alayna to find daytime care for, she was the first to volunteer her time to me.  It was such a blessing to know that our little girl was being cared for by someone we loved and who loved her as well (and her fee of "bring me to breakfast every so often" was perfect for a college student and her hubby who worked barely above minimum wage at the time!)

My Gramma L is no longer here on earth, but I know she helped shape me in my own journey as a mother.   When I was younger, we spent a lot of time at her house and she was always patient with us when we helped make cookies or dinner.  On New Year's Eve, she'd let us cut up page after page of newspaper into tiny pieces and throw them as confetti, telling us a mess can easily be cleaned up after having some fun.  She was also a tiny woman with a huge giggle who could surprise you with things like a homemade meal from seemingly nowhere, or her abilities to shoot a woodchuck in one shot from quite a distance--through the open bathroom window.  My only regret is that she passed away when Alayna was only 8 months old, so none of my girls got to know her.

My mother-in-law Lynn is not the typical "monster-in-law."  She is my husband's mother, but she's also like a second mother to me.  She and I get along great and though we have differences in some ways, we never let that come between us.  I feel just as comfortable spending a day with her as I do my own mom.  She is always there when we need her, for a recipe or advice or help with the girls.  She lets me be me in all my quirkiness and just laughs when my crazy ideas come flowing out.  I am so thankful for all she did to raise her son, who is the perfect man for me.

I have a huge network of aunts and friends who are amazing moms.  They have all taught me something about motherhood--from craft ideas to tips for medicine taking to discipline plans and everything in between.  Each person brings something new, important and different to the table.

My life is infinitely better for all the moms in it.  I love and thank you all!

No comments: