Tuesday, April 6, 2010

That Darn Kitchen

Ever since we moved into this house 5 1/2 years ago, we've been slowly changing, updating and making things our own. The kitchen was the biggest eye sore...and the one that's taken the longest--and most money--to remedy. And it's still not done. But, we're getting there.

First off, it was wall-papered in that 1979 vinyl stuff specifically for kitchens. It's great because it's waterproof. It's horrible because...it's waterproof. So I have to painstakingly peel tiny bits of vinyl off before I even get to the paper part that water and other solutions will soften in order to be removed. The entire kitchen was covered in it, from the half-wall above the table, to the walls on each side, the soffets above the cupboards and the back splash area. It's still covered in much more than I care to admit or look at. But it takes time, time I rarely have.

So we've done quicker fix things. Like replacing light fixtures, painting where the paper has been peeled, replacing every appliance (not all at once, thankfully) putting down wood floors over the scarred linoleum, removing the doors on our peninsula cupboards to allow light into the main kitchen area, window mis-treatments, etc. It's still a work in progress, but we've come a long way, no?
Before

After

After that


And after that (though we've since replaced that light fixture)

You can see the semi-peeled paper in the back splash area. That will hopefully be fully peeled soon, or covered up with a back splash. We also need a new range-hood. And eventually, I want new counter tops. We bought a new pendant light to put above the sink, but the current light that's hidden behind the trim piece is a square cut into the drywall, while the pendant hangs from a circular base. So Andy has some work to do before it gets put up. But nothing big, and the changes are quite dramatic if you look at the initial before photo.

Then there's the eating area. It's a nice area, but it has a railing down to the family room and a half wall on the upper half. The wall is quite a large expanse and when we first moved in, it needed something but I didn't have much. So I stuck these postage stamps there to fill a little bit of space (after, of course, we peeled and painted).


Okay, so they aren't really postage stamps, but it looks like it, right? Shortly after this picture was taken I found a beautiful print that had my basic kitchen color scheme and hung that in the middle with the small rooster prints on the sides. It stayed like that for a long time, though I was never really happy with it. Then I started reading The Nester and The Lettered Cottage, which are both fantastic home blogs. The Nester encourages everyone that their house doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful. And that sometimes, you have to do something and live with it for awhile to be sure if you really do, or don't, like it. Layla at The Lettered Cottage is documenting her entire house remodel and decorating, flaws and all, while throwing in fantastic decorating tips and tricks for the average person. Both women concentrate on using things that you already have, re-purposing, being thrifty for those things you don't have and thinking a little outside the box. In other words, they bring decorating down to something the average mom and wife can do.

Layla showed a picture on her blog once that really caught my eye. She had done a virtual design for someone and put EAT on their wall in big, black cut-out letters. I couldn't get it out of my mind and thought it would be great for our wall above the table. But in our house, and our family, things are a little better if left rustic. So one day, I went out to the garage and dug up some of Andy's scrap pieces of wood. I hauled out the circular saw and eyeballed my measurements, cutting the pieces to approximate lengths. The lengths are close, but not exact, the wood isn't sanded, some pieces have knots, some have nicks. I didn't care. I glued and screwed them together and put them on the wall the next day. They aren't perfect, and at first I didn't like it much. But I listened to The Nester's advice and left it up there to see if it would grow on me. And it did. Now I like it. A lot. And I get a lot of compliments on it, too.



I haven't decided yet if I need something more on the sides or not. But this is perfect for our family--simple, strong, a little rustic, a little odd. It works for us.

BTW: I've been doing some blog-keeping today, so be sure to check below for horsey and Easter posts of the girls!

4 comments:

Carol said...

I love the transition! You've made so much progress in there! And LOVE the 'EAT'!

The Nester said...

Don't you love "afters" and "after that" and after that that"...girl you are working your tail off!

I can't tell by the photo but if that green wall is something you can easily reach, that would be a GREAT place for a chalkboard wall!

LOVE your EAT!

Thanks so much for sharing

Lettered Cottage said...

Way to rock that re-do woman!!!
You've got me inspired now...what I can rip apart today?????

:-)

Layla

Mom In Progress said...

Looks great! I love all your changes and super talented on making the 'EAT'!