Monday, November 23, 2009

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite days of the year. I love everything about it--family togetherness, a wonderful meal (my favorite meal as a whole) but mostly because it's a day set aside to give thanks. Like everyone I know, I tend to take advantage of certain things. I have always had a roof over my head, so I sometimes think that it will always be there. It's something I tend to take advantage of. I've always had clothing on my back, food in my belly, material possessions like tvs, radios, books, toys...I've always had a loving family, filled with not only my parents, sister and grandparents, but many aunts, uncles and cousins who support me and love me. I have an amazing husband and 3 incredible children. I have a large network of in-laws who accepted me for me and love me because I love Andy. I have many wonderful friends. We all have our health and our happiness. I have lived a very fortunate life, but nothing very different from my neighbors or friends or relatives.

However, my life is very different from thousands--millions--of people. There are people who do not have tvs and radios. They don't have food in their stomach or clothing on their back. There are people without a home. There are people who have no family, no friends. There are people who have never known good health or true happiness.

The older I get, the more I appreciate what I have and try to help those who are less fortunate. I thank God every night for the wonderful life that I live, and I pray for those who don't have what I have. Thanksgiving is a day to really reflect on what we have, and give thanks to God for all that He has done for us. But each day should be Thanksgiving. Each day should be a day for giving thanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

VERY good post, my daughter!

Anonymous said...

I was listening to a speaker recently who mentioned that if you have the following: your own home, a change of clothing, food in your cupboards, two vehicles in any condition and money in the bank (or under the mattress), that you are in the top 5% of the World's wealthiest people. Crazy huh? You're right we have a lot to be thankful for! Auntie Lonna

Heather Forcey said...

What you just wrote are conversations I have in my head often. When I am feeling down, I just look around at all the "stuff" I have. It reminds me that not only do we have the necessities, but we also have much, much more. Good post, Candy.