Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Saddle Club

When I was younger, I loved to read just as much as I do now. I would spend hours a day reading book after book. Sometimes it was something I had to read for school, sometimes it was educational books about horses or animals, often times it was a book in the series called The Saddle Club by Bonnie Bryant.

The Saddle Club was my favorite series of books for years and years. The books followed 3 best friends who all rode together at a stable and had all sorts of interesting adventures. The books were interesting, funny, informational and something I totally wanted for my own life. I wanted to do nothing but ride every day and spend hours on end with my horse and my friends. Of course, at the time, I didn't realize that's what I had. I would spend every day (in the summer) riding horse for hours on end with my 2 best friends. We had several interesting adventures and tons of funny stories. But at the time, I didn't realize that. I wanted the books to be true. I wanted them for me.

Now, my daughter is reading the books that I saved my money for (and watching a tv series based on them as well!). She is secluding herself in her bedroom for hours, just like I did. The only difference? I read them when I was 10-15, she's only 8. And she's reading the copies I purchased so long ago, that have now collected dust on the bookshelf at my parents' house. I love that she's taken an interest in the same books that I spent so many hours with long ago.

When we were at the library the other day, Alayna asked if the library had one of the few books early in the series that I don't have (there are 101 of them total, plus some special editions, and I think I have 70 some books) When we went to look, I found the Pine Hollow series, which is a follow-up to The Saddle Club that takes the girls through their High School years. I had no idea this series existed. So while Alayna settled for Black Stallion (which is not settling by any means) I got the first 2 books in the 11-book Pine Hollow series. Do I feel like a dork for reading books intended for adolescents? Nope, I'm just reliving my childhood!

3 comments:

Heather Forcey said...

I can relate! Well, not to the passing on books to my daughter, but to having a series of books that I just loved as a kid. I still drag boxes of books out of the closet that I just can't let go of to reread. Happy reading!

Mom In Progress said...

Sounds great! Its so cool shes into them. I have seen Pine Hallow the show, I didn't know it was connected. I do sometimes go in the young adult books to get William and see so many good looking books and sometimes get one of those too. Its fun and if I never read it, then never too late!

Anonymous said...

Have you read the Thouroughbred series? Just another hundred or so more books to read! Lonna