Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A to Z

I am SO proud of Alayna! She's always been a great student and part of that is not only her talent and smarts, but that she's also excited to learn and expand her knowledge. She loves reading and learning, and is interested in so many things.

I just got a phone call, and I almost didn't answer it because the caller id read-out said "unknown number." Well, that usually means a tele-marketer or someone like that. But for some reason, I decided to answer on the 3rd ring. It was Alayna's teacher, telling me that Alayna had something to tell me. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect. I was worried something had happened or she was in trouble, though that would be completely unlike her.

"Mom? I just passed Z on my fast facts! I'm all done with addition!"

This is a big deal. Since earlier this year, she and her classmates have been doing addition fast facts, which are sheets with addition problems that get increasingly harder. As you progress through the alphabet, not only do the problems get harder, but you are also expected to get more problems correct in a minute (15 at level H, 20 at level P, etc) These sheets are in addition to their normal math work. Not only is Alayna the first in her class to finish the sheets, it's the general goal of 2nd grade to get to Z by the end of the year, which is still almost 2 months away! Now it's onto subtraction...

We're so proud of you Alayna! Great job! (I'm done with the Mommy brag now)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT JOB LAYNER!

Gramma will have to take you to the DQ some time soon to celebrate! I'm very happy for you, because I know how hard you've been working on your fast facts!

EXCELLANT JOB!

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic! Be very proud of yourself.

Heather Forcey said...

You have every right to brag! That is a fantastic accomplishment. Way to go Alayna.