Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Naughty List

Dear Santa Paws,

Usually, our dogs (Marley and Sunny) are model citizens. Sunny won't eat food from the floor unless you tell her it's okay and she mostly just sleeps when she's in the house because she doesn't want to be kicked out in the cold. Marley, while just a pup, is learning the ropes and doing very well. She's getting better about eating off the table (she doesn't even have to lift her head or stretch much at all to reach the middle of it) and she's learning what is and isn't considered food. But, sometimes they slip up...

I am writing to inform you of a little "incident" from last night, in case it didn't come up on your radar. Yesterday, Andy and I did the last of our Christmas shopping and while out, found an adorable set of gingerbread dog-houses. There were 4 in a box, with all the decorations you could need and a Snoopy for each house (and the set was only $7!). We bought them for the girls, thinking it was great they could each decorate one. Apparently, the dogs didn't think so. I don't know if they thought we were going to force them to sleep in these tiny houses that were the size of their ears or what, but they didn't like it one bit.

We left Marley and Sunny in the house for about an hour after we got home, while we went to get the kids. When we got home, the doghouses were gone. I mean, Gone. Finished. The only thing left was some shredded cardboard and 2 tiny candy balls. Oh, did I fail to mention the houses weren't set up yet and were still in their original, unopened box? Apparently they weren't sealed tightly enough in plastic if the dogs could smell them and figure it out.

Of course, when I asked who did this, they both gave me blank stares and neither one fessed up. Later, Marley tried to tell me that it was the neighbor dog, but I wasn't buying it. I would have thrown them outside for the night for eating the houses and lying, but it was only 2 degrees at that time and I do have a heart.

So when you're double checking your list, Santa Paws, make sure that this last incident is on there. Again, I don't know who did it, but I think it was a team effort.

Sincerely,
Candy, the annoyed dog-owner

2 comments:

Dawn said...

i sure hope gingerbread is better for dogs that the godiva chocolate & birthday cake that our friend's dog seems to favor!

Heather Forcey said...

That is pretty funny!