Thursday, January 27, 2011

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N

Alayna came home from school on Tuesday so excited that she was jumping out of her skin.  She could barely take off her snow boots, hat, mittens and coat fast enough to tell me what she was so excited about.

"MOM!!  We had the 4th grade spelling bee today and not only am I my class champion, but I'm the champion of the whole 4th grade!!!!"  She was a little excited, but so were we.  Last year, she was 2nd and so bummed, because she knew how to spell the last word correctly, just got ahead of herself and there's no going back to correct.  This year, she made sure to take her time.  I was so proud of her that she remembered to think it through, especially since I didn't even know it was time for the spelling bee (she kinda forgot to bring the study sheet home over the weekend)  She doesn't get to go on to competition at district until next year, in 5th grade, but it's still awesome.

I remember when I was in the spelling bee.  It was down to myself and my friend Sarah.  I got the word "diarrhea" and missed the second R.  She got the word "pneumonia" and spelled it correctly, so she won.  I was so frustrated because I knew her word.  But you know what?  I don't think I've ever misspelled either of those words ever again!

Great job, Alayna!  We're so proud of you!

3 comments:

Mom In Progress said...

ok. I cen't spel fer cr#* so tharfor I tink that is prity inkredible. ;) Awesome job!

Sarah said...

Great job! I fondly remember spelling bees. I remember learning to spell distinguished when I was in 2nd grade, just in case they used the lists from the higher grades. To this day I can rattle it off really fast!

I still mess up diarrhea, LOL. Thankfully my expander program puts it in for me when I type diar and hit the ; key. :)

Heather Forcey said...

Great job Alayna! That is so awesome! We just had our school spelling bee last week. Kiddos these days have to spell some hard words!