Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Drama Drama Don't Need a Llama

While I'm still going through pictures and getting things put back in order from our crazy few weeks, I thought you'd all appreciate this story. I did not appreciate it while it was happening just a few moments ago.

Anyone who knows Mikayla, knows that she's quite a spit-fire. We always say that she has every bit of attitude, stubbornness and spunk that Lilly and Alayna didn't get. While the older two girls are usually quite calm and level-headed, even as small children, Mikayla has always been high-maintenance.

Today is one of those hot, nasty, disgusting summer days all sane people hate. The summers here in WI are usually nice and pleasant, but we always get a few days of heat and humidity. Well, today is 90 with dew points in the 70s, or "oppressive" as the weathermen call it. Yummy. My house smells like sweaty kids (you know that smell) and a hint of last night's Chinese take-out. Appetizing, I tell you.

So anyway, the kids are sticky messes and their hair is smashed into their faces. I asked Mikayla if she wanted a pony-tail to help her cool down. She said yes and turned around for me to put it in. I combed her hair and put the pony-tail in, just like she agreed to. Then she Flipped. Out.

"I don't want a pony! I want my hair down!" she wailed while pulling the pony-tail partially out of her hair. I told her that the pony looked pretty and would keep her from getting so hot. Well, that was the wrong thing to say, apparently. She went into full melt-down mode and threw herself onto the floor. Now, remember how I said I've been either super busy or gone for the last 2 weeks, including the last 5 days staying at the county fair? Our floor hasn't been vacuumed since we came home and dumped all of our stuff all over. The crying and sweating child got off the floor with dirt and dog hair stuck all over her face and a ponytail only holding half of her hair. She marched into the bathroom, looked in the mirror and came right back out with a horrified look on her face. I wanted to laugh and cry.

"Mommy," she sobbed, "I sorry I tooked my pony out. Please put it back in so it's pretty!"

I washed up her face, re-combed her hair and put the ponytail back in. Then she went into the bathroom, still hiccuping a little from her fit, and proclaimed herself pretty after gazing into the mirror for 5 minutes. She's now happily playing ponies, with an adorable ponytail sticking out of her head that kind of looks like a horn...interesting.

2 comments:

Mom In Progress said...

That is hilareous!!! OMG that makes me glad I don't have girls. I don't have hair drama in this house. Except my own thank you very much. She is for sure a spit-fire.

LeeAnne said...

Oh, how funny! I hope you got a picture of her with all the gunk stuck to her face. I would love to see it.